Thursday, December 15, 2016

The Right Way To Review 2016 (And no. I won’t ask you to describe your year in one word)

When someone says describe 2016 in one word, the only right response is: “Lol. Shut up.”

I mean… Think about it… what good comes from this?

“New Beginnings!”

“Surprising!

“Comfortable!”

That’s deep! Maybe you should tattoo it on your forehead or something?

No, it’s a big waste of time. And if you see someone telling you to describe it in 3 words, it’s 3 times the waste of time.

So, here’s how I review my year. The right way.

Step 1: What Went Well?

Whether you write it down, or just think about it in your head, you need to ask yourself, “What went well?”

It might be tough to remember everything. Especially if you’re not a detailed note-taker… you know… like most human beings.

So, what I like to do is think about things by month. “What did I do in January? What went well? What did I do in February? What went well?”

What’s important about this exercise is this: don’t just think about huge successes. Think about the little successes, too.

Maybe you went to an event you never went to before… and met a new friend.

Maybe you wrote a blog post you never wrote before… and people loved it.

Maybe you did your first sales call and CLOSED THE SALE.

Maybe you read a book for the first time in a while, and got a ton of new ideas.

Whatever the case, think about the wins. Big wins. And little wins.

Then, move to step 2…

Step 2: Can I Do It Again?

At this point, many will think it’s natural to think about “What went well.” And follow up with “What went wrong?”

But I don’t want you to focus on the negative stuff right now. Instead, I want you to think about what went well…

…and I want you to ask yourself, “Can I do it again?”

Back when I started Social Triggers, I did these weird little “Site review” videos of popular blogs.

(You might have seen them. Here’s one I did with Pat Flynn, as an example).

They went real well. I noticed it, almost immediately. And then, I went on to do 20 more of them.

This is important.

You see, everyone always thinks about what went well, and moves directly to what went wrong.

This is dumb.

Instead, I always tell people to think about what went well. And then ask yourself if you can do it over and over and over again.

Because if it went well once…

…it can go well again.

So, here’s what I want you to do:

Today I want you to take some time to think about what went well this year.

And then I want you to think about whether or not you can do it again.

Even better?

I want you to leave a comment on this blog post right here. Write the comment like this:

Hi, I’m Name. And I run a business that [insert business].

What Went Well:

Insert What Went Well

Can I Do It Again?

Yes, I can. And here’s how I plan to do it.

So, leave a comment now.

Or, if you’re not ready to commit yet (and want to do it later), for right now, you can just reshare this article…

…because if I see one more person say something like, “Describe your year in one word,” I’ll cut my internet connection for good.



from
http://feeds.socialtriggers.com/~r/SocialTriggers/~3/2IloBQpTf24/

No comments:

Post a Comment